Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Don`t want any thing, conform with your misfortune, and beleive in what you can`t see, touch, or hear. Why? Just do it!!!


I am finding that the Tao Te Ching shows many ideas about aspects of life that I agree with but never really paid attention to.
In the scroll THIRTEEN, I found something very interesting. It said that one should accept disgrace as to accept being unimportant as well as avoiding being concerned with loss or gain. I was also intrigued as misfortune was described as something that happens to everyone and it is part of nature, “Misfortune comes from having a body”. The similarity to the Bhagavad-Gita is appearing repeatedly, it is clearly said in the scroll TWENTY-SIX, “He remains unattached and calm”. I find it really hard for this to happen. It is really hard to be unattached to what happens to you. Up to what I know, everybody has at least a little bit of selfishness and desires something or mourns a loss. It is also mentioned that peace is acquired when one is not waiting for a change and accepts the monotony of nature. This thing about having nothing for thieves to no t exist and all this sounds a little mediocre to me though.
I have also noted the importance of simplicity and humility in the Tao. It criticizes the people that make shows, are self righteous, who boasts, and brags, Lao Tsu says all those things are unnecessary and do not bring happiness.
Scroll SIXTEEN, I identified with a lot. “They grow and flourish and then return to the source”, as you may see, this teaching, if I could call it like that, told how life is a cycle and everyone is destined to die someday. I agree and know that as much as we try, we cannot change it. It is something that is hard to accept, but we all will die someday and it is natural that it happens. But nothing would make any sense without death anyway, life wouldn’t be as valuable. On the other hand I noticed a very interesting thing; one can be with the Tao and be eternal. Is this like an after life? To me it is similar to the ‘be with god’ idea, “And though the body dies, the Tao will never pass away”. So is this Tao like a spirit?
There where two more things that caught my attention in the scrolls from THIRTEEN to TWENTY-NINE. The first was the mention of ‘the way’ in TWENTY THREE, and the mention and explanation for ‘faith’ in TWENTY-ONE. It again supported the idea of the Tao existing but it being impossible to know it does by seeing, hearing, of touching, but it being faith that it exists what supports it. This is what happens in many religions, people don`t have any physical evidence that what they believe in exists, but they still know it is there and don`t doubt it, through faith.
At last I was surprised when in the scroll TWENTY, Tao Tsu writes in first person, and tells us how he is different from all the rest of the people. He says “Give up learning, and put an end to your troubles” (thing that Confucius wouldn`t agree with hu?). he says he was not clever and didn`t do what everyone else did, but at the same time he writes he is alone and depressed, “but I am alone and depressed”.
And that’s the end! Ta Tan!

No comments:

Post a Comment