Saturday, May 8, 2010

David, Good or bad?


Once again God chooses a man, and once again I don´t understand why. I would think that the ones God directs his attention to are chosen because they are good and they have the merits for such important role. Maybe in the eyes of the bible they are good. It is hard to define what is good or not. This type of question´s answers are usually taken for granted, I thought my answer to what a good person is, was already clear and there. However when I was asked about It I realized that it is not so. Now after thinking it over I would say that a good person is one that has good wishes for others. It is someone that is fair and that has good actions towards others being authentic and because it is of ones nature to do it. With this I mean, have good intentions towards others and act to help others without any personal interest and being completely honest on why you are doing it. This was mentioned by the name of detachment in actions in the book of Bhagavad-Gita. Regarding David and how he acts according to the bible, I don´t think he is a good person.

David has proven to have many qualities as courage and many more as described in the following verse, “I have seen a son of Jesse the Beth-Lehemite, that is Cumming in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the LORD is with him”(I Samuel 16:18). Anyhow, are they enough for the lord to be with him? How about the bloodshed he has also demonstrated? David is shown to be violent and I would say cold blooded as you may see in the I Samuel: “This day will the lord deliver thee into mine hand, and I will smite thee; and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcasses of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air and to the wildest beasts of the earth”. Here god is pricing bloody slaughter. He has chosen to support a man like this? What criteria does this God have creating the tree and snake, listening to Satan, and backing a man who´s words are cold aggressive, violent, and represent slaughter?

No comments:

Post a Comment