Sunday, April 18, 2010

Many Generations to Follow and a New Beginning



Eve and Adam have their first child, Cain and then they have Abel. They are not described so much; Abel is a sheep keeper that gives the biggest sheep to God as sacrifice and Cain a farmer that also gives sacrifice to God. The reason he killed Abel I think is pure jealousy for God respects his brother and does not appreciate him as proven in the following verse: “And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering: But unto Cain and to his offering he had no respect” (Genesis 4-4, 4-5) I was also surprised as I found the word sin that hadn’t been mentioned before, on Genesis 4-7.

After this came many generations that where listed. If I probably wrote about it the most accurate thing that I could do is a family tree. While reading the names of the sons in the generation I realized that they where all that, sons, there where no women mentioned as if they were not significant or they didn´t have relevance. I was especially interested when the total years of the ones who had children where said, I was reminded about the theory I had wrote about before when reading Gilgamesh. In the theory of Zecharia Sitchin, there where semi gods and men that actually lived for a long time, like the ones mentioned in Genesis 5: “And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared: And all the days of Mahalaleel where eight hundred ninety and five years: and he died” (15, 16). “That the sons of god saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose” (Genesis 6-2), this verse also reminded me of this theory for, children of daughters of men with sons of God are also included in many other religions and cultural believes like in the Greek culture, Zeus had Perseus with the daughter of the king of Argos, Danae. This part of the genesis is full of things that remind me of this man´s book and ideas as it also mentions giant men. I found myself interested when Enoch was said to walk with God and stop being, “And Enoch walked with god: and he was not; for god took him” (Genesis 5-24), this thing about walking with God is very familiar. I think it means following the right path. When it says ‘he was not’ I think it means he died, as, was comes from the verb to be and he was not, he does not exist, I suppose.

When it comes to the story of Noah, son of Lemoch, I also related it to Zecharia´s theory. The flood has been present in the records of many different parts of the world as in Gilgamesh there was a record of it when traveled to avoid death and found who seemed to be Noah. I believe there was a flood, that it actually happened, but not because God wanted it to be that way, I see it more like it was a natural disaster. Here god talked personally with Noah and I recall it to be the first time GOD speaks to man. Yes, Lord God talked to Adam and Eve and he also spoke to Cain questioning Abel’s death, but this time it was God who spoke to Noah and even talked in first person when describing his feelings about corruption and what he was to do about it: “And behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die”(Genesis 6-17). It is mentioned that God makes the decision because he sees that all he created became corrupt, He sacrificed every creature and everything that had life for the mistakes of men and female. The way the time that passed is described is very easy to follow only that it is related it to the years of Noah instead of a general record of time. Noah, his family and all the creatures are blessed by God that finds compassion and regrets having to sacrifice all of his creation. He promises it won´t ever happen again, “And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be flood to destroy the earth” (Genesis 9-11). I was confused at the end when Canaan son of Ham was cursed by Noah, I don´t understand well what he did. I read something about him being naked, which was seen badly after Adam and Eve tasted the fruit of the tree in the midst of the Garden of Eden. After rereading it many times I understand that he got him naked while drunk and so he was condemned to be a servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment