Monday, April 12, 2010

Comparing Religion



I was surprised when I found many familiar trends in the ideas, goals, and prices of sacrifice and fulfilling duty very similar to the ones of the Christian religion. In the third teaching I got started with a phrase that resembles how god is the creator and we are meant to procreate, as in Gilgamesh where the ones that reproduce have a better “after life”, “ When creating living beings and sacrifice, Prajapati, the primordial creator, said: ‘By the sacrifice will you procreate! Let it be your wish-granting cow!’”(10, T3). “Enriched by sacrifice, the gods\ will give you the delights you desire; \he is a thief who enjoys their gifts\ without giving to them in return.”(12), as it is shown in this phrase, in this teaching it is also mentioned that sacrifice is an obligation and it shall be done to pay back all that the gods granted men. This also leads to what we call sin. God shows himself as a complete authority, the one who does not follow what he commands and thinks and the one who does not defend them with their live in sin and is not free. We can also see this in teaching: “Surrender all your actions to me,\ and fix your reason on your inner self;…”(30), “Men who always follow my thought,\ trusting it without finding fault, \are freed, \even by their actions” (31). This, I found particularly interesting for, I recall many wars that still are found today for religious reasons, since by following their god they are freed from their actions or they are justified this wars are very accepted among people and happen easily and confidently.

“He who really knows my divine\ birth and my action, escapes rebirth\ when he abandons the body\ and he comes to me, Arjuna” (9, T4), here I was also able to notice that as in the catholic religion and as in many others, the ones who followed god completely and fulfilled their duty in earth end up in its presence to find complete peace and satisfaction. I was particularly intrigued when Krishna said that he created himself when there was chaos and that he had also lived many lives as humans but remembered them all. How would he create himself? I was interested in the fifth teaching as well when a lord was mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment