Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tablet VII, A Sacrifice for Civilization


The gods make a council and decide that Gilgamesh and Enkidu cannot live at the same time and that one should be sacrificed. Enkidu falls ill and Gilgamesh mourns the departure of his brother. They fall in misery for, they understand they will be separated, “"Why am I left to live while my brother dies? Why should he die and I spare to live?"” (pg. 38)The dream the wild man has before his end, I interpret as death approaching; Enkidu fights with the same strength as he did with Huwawa and the bull but he cannot defeat death. He also says how he was alone and he cried for his brother's help but he didn`t come to his rescue, showing him he was alone in his fight with death. " I cried out in the dark to Gilgamesh 'Two people, companions' but the man overpowered me, and raged like a wild bull over me in glory, and Gilgamesh was afraid and did not help me." (pg. 42)
Enkidu starts to regret, he regrets falling for the temple prostitute and curses her for bringing him into the city, and he regrets his search for the tallest cedar tree to build the gate. Shamash tells him he should not regret, for, he was now praised as a king by all, and his brother would honor his memory and celebrate his fame.

I was intrigued by the description of the place where the dead go and again insist in the similitude of it to the kingdom of Ares of the Greek culture (where there is also the Olympus/ council of the gods). “He seized an arm and led me to the dwelling of Irkalla, the House of Darkness, the house of no return." (pg. 42) The companions also talk about a door that separates them, and separates as well the dead from the alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment