Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tablet I, Starting From the Beginning


As I mentioned before, questions that explain humanity have been answered by many throughout history; what better way to get started than learning from the very first writings?

When I read the beginning of Gilgamesh I found myself intrigued by how the writer tells the story, the way the characters are described in a divine level and how it brings to light a potential bond between two different sides of perfection. "Two-thirds a god, one-third a man, the king." (pg.4) Gilgamesh and Enkidu are similar regarding their power and the power of the impression they cause in the ones who live their presence. "His father said: Go to Uruk and there present yourself to the king, who is the strongest of all, the perfect, the terror, the wise shepherd, protector of the people." I sense that the king takes the role of an idol, representing all that is right and determining what is wrong in society. He can as well be related to the culture we have grown since the beginning of times and that is permanently judging us as good or bad, described in the book Ishmael. Enkidu, on the other hand, represents a man that lives and makes part of nature in a perfect balance as well as an obstacle for men to abuse of its resources. The prostitute may represent his corruption and, a weakness that every man has and that will take him away from his nature. “he feeds upon grasslands with gazelles; he visits the watering places with the beasts; he has unset my traps and filled my hunting pits; the creatures of the grasslands get away free." (pg.6)

The importance of these characteristics, I still don`t understand, but I am quite sure this ancient sumerian story will lead to the discovery of answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment